Jump to navigation
Jump to search
This article is written like a personal reflection or opinion essay that states a Wikipedia editor’s personal feelings about a topic. Please help improve it by rewriting it in an encyclopedic style . (September 2018) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message )
|If you plan to make breaking changes to this template, move it, or nominate it for deletion, please notify Twinkle’s users and maintainers at Wikipedia talk:Twinkle as a courtesy, as this template is used in the standard installation of Twinkle. Thank you!|
- 1 When to use
- 1.1 When not to use
- 1.2 How to use
- 1.3 Notes
- 1.4 See also
- 2 TemplateData
When to use
Use this tag to identify personal essays. Personal essays describe the author’s own emotional feelings about a topic. Although Wikipedia is supposed to compile human knowledge, it is not a vehicle to publish users’ personal opinions .
This template should be used when the article contains the editor’s own personal, emotional comments on the subject. Use it when the article does not necessarily represent a blatant opinion or opinion piece, but is still overly judgementalist in tone.
When not to use
Do not use this template to tag fact-oriented pages that sound like they might have been written as research papers for school (called “essays” in some parts of the world). Instead, if those pages need a different writing style or tone, use Research paper , or general templates like Tone or Copy edit .
If the article is biased, but without expressing the editor’s emotions or value-based judgments, use tags like unbalanced or POV .
How to use
at the top of the article to alert editors to the inappropriate presence of editors’ personal reflections throughout the article.
- To mark specific sections instead of the whole article, place
Essay-like |sectionat the top of the section.
- To replace the text “a personal reflection or essay”, you may use
Essay-like |article or section|yourtextor
- Articles tagged without the optional date parameter will be given the parameter by a bot .
- Add a new item to the talk page explaining the problem so editors will know what to address, and when to remove this tag.
- This template adds articles to dated subcategories of Category:Wikipedia articles needing style editing
- This template will add tagged articles to Category:Wikipedia articles needing style editing .
- This template is a self-reference .
- Please do not subst: this template.
- Wikipedia:Cleanup process
- Wikipedia:Template messages/Cleanup
TemplateData for Essay-like
Use this cleanup template to identify personal essays
|Type (typically section)|
This parameter allows an editor to replace the default word “article” with another word, usually the word “section”
To replace the template text “a personal reflection or opinion essay” with a custom description
|Month and year|
Month and year of tagging; e.g., ‘January 2013’, but not ‘jan13’
|The above documentation is transcluded from Template:Essay-like/doc . ( edit | history )|
Editors can experiment in this template’s sandbox ( create | mirror ) and testcases ( edit ) pages.
Please add categories to the /doc subpage. Subpages of this template .
- Article message templates
- Templates used by Twinkle
- TemplateData documentation
- Cleanup templates
- Wikipedia section templates
- Wikipedia template-protected templates
- This page was last edited on 23 February 2018, at 17:02 (UTC).
- Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;
- About Wikipedia
- Contact Wikipedia
- Cookie statement
- Mobile view